Wednesday, January 12, 2011

3 Days In... (and some product reviews)

As I write this I am enjoying (yes actually enjoying) a tofu scramble in a pocket sandwich from Amy's.  





And, I am amazed by how much the tofu actually tastes & has the consistency of scrambled egg.  Very weird.  Now I've had tofu before, but never in a "scramble".






Here's the run down:

  • Only 180 calories & 6 grams of fat
  • Provides 11 grams of protein (almost comparable to what 2 scrambled eggs would provide)
  • Vegan - of course, or I wouldn't be eating it (dairy & egg free)
  • Trans fat & cholesterol free
  • Organic
  • Made without any GMOs or bio-engineered ingredients
  • 520 mg of sodium (which is kind of hefty, ideally would be < 300 mg)

Allergen Alert:
  • Soy
  • Wheat (also gluten, so definitely not celiac-friendly)

Overall, I would actually recommend this product, as it was really pretty tasty, & satisfying (no, seriously!)

You can click here to read more about Amy's products, & they have a great website also, with RD involvement.

Finally, I wanted to share some of what I've learned so far 3 days into following a vegan diet:

1) This is doable.

2) I actually do feel a little better (but, it may also be due to the fact I officially worked out twice this week so far).

3) Vegan rice cheese tastes like cardboard (I do not recommend this product).

Notice how it says "made for melting"?  Well, they are full of bologna (meat on the brain, again... and I don't even like bologna!)  I put this on a steaming hot baked potato, & it just sat there and looked at me.  I even zapped it in the microwave for another 30 seconds, & again, it just sat there and looked at me.  Hmmmm.  I tried to poke it with my fork, & it started to turn into mush.  I guess that is their idea of "melting".  Not my idea.  I saved my potato by drizzling on olive oil, & adding dried rosemary leaves, sea salt, & cracked pepper.  Much better.



I bought this because it was the only vegan cheese at Kroger.  They had plenty of Veggie  soy cheese, but alas, they all contained casein, which is a component of milk protein.  That is why it is important to read ingredient lists, especially for people with food allergies.  If I happened to be allergic to milk & thought I was doing good buying soy cheese, I would be sadly mistaken.  One good benefit of this cheese, is the calcium content is a whopping 20% per slice.  So, I choked it down (plus it was kind of pricey).


Casein likes to sneak up in soy yogurts as well, as I noticed when reading the labels at the store.  One example of this is O Soy brand.  I was successful in finding a vegan soy yogurt, which also stated clearly on the label:


This yogurt was not bad (I've only tried the strawberry so far), but it did seem to have a bit of a "twang" to it.
Click here to read more about their product.


It was doable, especially since I added some Kashi GoLean Crisp toasted berry crumble to it.  That's some good stuff.  Another great website to check out their products.



I think my tofu scramble wore off, so it's time to go have a snack.  In case you were wondering, I'm going to have "ants on a log" (Jif natural creamy peanut butter & raisins on celery sticks).  A childhood favorite, & also very yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment