Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sneaky, Sneaky!

I got "milked"!  (I guess that doesn't come across the way I intended it to...)

Anyway, my family & I were on our way to an evening soccer game, & we needed to "grab" some dinner fast.  The kids wanted McDonald's (of course, what's new), & my mind was spinning thinking what I could get from there to eat that would comply with my vegan diet.

I didn't want a salad (which I could have gotten without the chicken), because I was wanting something with more substance.  I decided to order their new Fruit & Maple Oatmeal, since it is offered all day, thinking I made a good choice (I hadn't previously read the ingredients), but I was aware it had raisins, dried cranberries, apples, maple flavoring, & brown sugar.

I thought I was safe.

While I was eating it, I thought it tasted exceptionally creamy, & I became suspicious there was either milk or cream added.  Now I've had this oatmeal before (prior to going vegan), & I never noticed the creamy taste.  Maybe not having any dairy for a week made my taste buds extra sensitive.

After I ate the oatmeal (I was hungry!) I decided to look up the ingredients on my iphone.
Here is what I found:

Fruit & Maple Oatmeal:
Oatmeal, Diced Apples, Cranberry Raisin Blend, Light Cream

Darn it!  I was right, and I already ate it!

It got me thinking how important it is for people with food allergies to be aware of what they are eating, & before they go to the restaurant or fast food place, much less before they actually eat the food.

Luckily, I don't actually have an allergy, but I was upset because I felt like I had sabotaged a week of work, & I was more angry at myself for not being prepared (however, I do feel better in the GI department after not having any sources of milk, dairy, or milk derivatives.  I wonder...)  But for those that do, it could be dangerous.

Here is the link I found for all of McDonald's foods, including allergen statements:
http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/ingredientslist.pdf

Again, the take home message is to do your research & be prepared before you are faced with a situation like this!  And, don't let hunger get the best of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment