Friday, January 21, 2011

Update

I have been having some computer issues, so I'm just now able to post. 

I have weighed in, & have lost 1 #!  (Not as much as I would like, but pretty good I guess for 1 1/2 weeks).  At least that is a little motivation to keep going...

I admit, I have had to cheat a little & have some cheese.  It is my weakness!  And, that Rice Vegan junk is just not cutting it.  Whew!!! I feel much better getting that off my chest.

However, for the most part, I have been doing my best being "vegan", but I am finding all kinds of hidden milk or (ahkkkkk!) chicken broth in all kinds of foods, especially when eating out.  All I can say, is research, research, research! 

Like for example, we ate at Taco Cabana the other night, & I did my best to eat vegan (without researching, my bad!)  I had a "bowl" with black beans, rice, lettuce, & guacamole.  Well, (after I ate it, hey, when you're hungry, it's not so easy to look up the ingredients!) it turns out the rice has added chicken broth (or something of that processed derivative) added for flavoring!  Also, the tortillas have added whey (milk protein), but I didn't eat any tortillas.  So if I was trying to eat low-fat, I think I did pretty well, but I failed in terms of eating "vegan".

If you have a smart phone, there are all kinds of apps about eating vegan, even ones that will give you some info about restaurants & fast-food joints regarding what they serve (if anything at all) that meets vegan criteria. 

Here are 2 websites I found that give tips on vegan-friendly places to eat, & even shop:
http://www.vegguide.org/
http://www.happycow.net/

And finally, a website I ran across written by a vegan RD.  Lots of great info!
http://www.theveganrd.com/

I am going to go eat at Pei-Wei, & see what I can come up with to eat that is vegan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment